Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 17:46:05 EST

> I guess we could build a system which does keep track of
> everything, but I don't think many people will want to use
> it. Imagine needing 3 MB of swap for every apache child
> being forked ... (ditto for mysql, sendmail, ...)

Actually we have a model for doing it. The bean counter stuff could be
extended that way. There are environments where you care about total
predictability of memory usage - not all of them big boxes

'Damn out of memory' is not the thing you want to hear over the aircraft
intercom at 35,000 feet

Alan