Re: IDE - Large disk problem [2.2.14]

From: Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 20:45:40 EST

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 09:32:41PM +0100, Bernhard Dobbels wrote:

> I've installed my new Maxtor 40GB, and therfore upgraded my kernel to 2.2.14
> for the large disk support.
>
> My bios doesn't recognise the disk as 40GB, but as 33GB. This isn't a problem
> as linux doesn't use the bios, i thought.
>
> I have been able to partition is, but somehow now i can't access it anymore
> after 33gb. (sector 66055248 is the last one i can read with dd)
>
> I should say that this happened after a reset (because of net memory not
> accepted by my mobo (apacer 128 MB sdram))

So, you used to have a 40 GB disk, all was fine, something happened,
and now you have a 33 GB disk.

There is nothing wrong with the Linux kernel here. You report
66055248 sectors from hdparm, that is, the disk itself claims
size 33.8 GB. Moreover, read access past 33 GB now gets I/O error.
This can be the effect of a jumper.
This can also be the effect of the Maxtor utility JUMPON.EXE.
This might also be the effect of the SETMAX command.

Did you run MaxBlast or JUMPON.EXE or similar disk mangling stuff?