Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12 [VM fixes]

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 23:19:53 EST

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, DeRobertis wrote:

> I use my Linux box as a desktop. So I usually don't want the
> memory hog (NetScape) dead. Most of the time I've gotten OOM,
> it's been because of a moderately (or sometimes quickly) growing
> program, not because of something going beserk.

Then you've either don't got enough memory _or_ something
else will be selected for OOM killing ...

I agree that it may pick a wrong process sometimes, but
that's ok because out of memory shouldn't happen too
often and the choice is usually "close enough".

When chosing between netscape and an out-of-control cgi
script, my code will most probably pick the cgi script
because it has been running for a shorter time.

Read mm/oom_kill.c in 2.2.15pre12 for more details...

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/