Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12 [VM fixes]

From: DeRobertis (derobert@erols.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 04:02:03 EST

At 2:40 AM -0500 on 3/6/00, Mike A. Harris wrote:

>Maybe 15 years ago. I'm running RedHat 6.1, and after the system
>starts up most persistant daemons have PID's in the 300-1000
>range. I would suspect it would be similar for other dists as
>well.

Another interesting thing about assuming low pids better: Anyone can
get a low pid. Just fork/exit/fork/exit... until you have one. Couldn't
someone come up with a relativly easy DoS attack by gaining a lower PID
than some important program (especially since the importants are in the
300-1000 range), and then blowing all memory on the box (even if
slowly)?

Memory priorities would not allow that.