Re: init (and sysinit) and runlevels

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 07:56:38 EST

In article <cistron.200003070721.IAA14419@hell.localdomain>,
Anders Eriksson <anders.c.eriksson@era.ericsson.se> wrote:
>I'm setting up a tight boot partition. Currently it has stuff from the init,
>sh, and glibc packages. The funny thing is that init refuses to run my sysinit
>(si) script.

It doesn't refuse to run it - but your script fails.

>The exact same script, run in runlevel 3 goes ok. Any ideas? The
>following is and excerpt of the init process with debugging enabled.

>Freeing unused kernel memory: 32k freed
>INIT: version 2.77 booting
>INIT: Reading inittab
>INIT: Checking for children to kill
>INIT: Checking for children to start
>INIT: Started id si (pid 49)
>INIT: chld_handler: marked 49 as zombie
>INIT: got SIGCHLD
>INIT: Child died, PID= 49

See? Here it started the sysinit script, but the script exited
immidiately. Perhaps the program or script interpreter needs
something (program/shared lib) that is not present yet at that
point. I.e. a shared library on /usr which is not mounted.

Mike.

--
#define ESPANISHINQ	1478	/* Expect the Spanish Inquisition */