audio cd weirdness after boot

From: Ian Peters (itp@gnu.org)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 14:13:56 EST

2.3.49, with one line patch to softirq.c.

Immediately after boot, when trying to play an audio cd (audio cable
from Acer ide cdrom connected to on-motherboard vibra 16), no sound
comes out. Access /dev/dsp (for example, play an mp3), and I hear
both the mp3 and, starting right then, the cd, however far it had
gotten into playing it. So the first 40 seconds play, just silently,
and as soon as the mp3 starts playing the sound from both kicks in.
If I stop the mp3, the cd audio continues to work normally. The
problem doesn't come back until I reboot the machine.

ide-cd and cdrom are modules, as is sound support. The output of
dmesg around the time of these happenings looks normal:

hdd: ATAPI 50X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.06
isapnp: Scanning for Pnp cards...
isapnp: Card 'Creative ViBRA16X PnP'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: Creative ViBRA16X PnP detected
sb: ISAPnP reports 'Creative ViBRA16X PnP' at i/o 0x220, irq 5, dma 1, 3
SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
SB16: Bad or missing 16 bit DMA channel

When I start playing the cd (with no sound), the following modules are
loaded:

Module Size Used by
ide-cd 24332 1 (autoclean)
cdrom 26396 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
eepro100 15228 1 (autoclean)

After starting the mp3 (so that sound starts from both the mp3 and the
cd), these modules are loaded:

Module Size Used by
sb 40256 0 (autoclean)
uart401 6704 0 (autoclean) [sb]
sound 66348 0 (autoclean) [sb uart401]
soundcore 4548 6 (autoclean) [sb sound]
isa-pnp 27336 0 (autoclean) [sb]
ide-cd 24332 1 (autoclean)
cdrom 26396 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
eepro100 15228 1 (autoclean)

Interestingly, though, removing the sound modules (to return to the
original set of modules shown) doesn't stop sound from the cd. So.

I've attached the .config from my kernel. Requests for further
information welcome.

--
Ian Peters  | GnuPG Key ID 5C23D20C    | Those who know what's best
itp@gnu.org | E584 2558 FAC3 BEAB EFAC | for us must rise and save