Config system and 2.5.x...

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 16:03:33 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> For 2.5, the entire config-system must go, as it is way to limited for the
> current kernels.

Agreed...

While we are talking about 2.5, it would be nice if it was possible for
people to add drivers to the build without patching a single file. This
would be very useful for people who distribute extra drivers with their
kernels, and want an easy way to drop them into the kernel build.

It is much easier for a vendor to do

        cp newdriver.{c,mk,config} linux/3rdparty

and have magic occur than it is to constantly maintain a patch which
does nothing but add make and config.in rules which pull the driver into
the vendor build.

--
Jeff Garzik              | My to-do list is a function
Building 1024            | which approaches infinity.