Re: ver_linux script

From: almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 10:12:55 EST

Tim Coleman wrote:
> I also notice that sys/utsname.h references a POSIX standard:
> POSIX Standard: 4.4 System Identification <sys/utsname.h>
>
> Since I do not have access to a copy of the POSIX standard that
> I know of, I don't know what that standard specifies exactly.

It only specifies that there have to be the following fields:

"sysname Name of this implementation of the operating system.
 nodename Name of this node within an implementation-specified
          communications network. [*]
 release Current release level of this implementation.
 version Current version level of this release.
 machine Name of the hardware type on which the system is running."

[*] "The inclusion of the nodename member in this structure does not
     imply that it is sufficient information for interfacing to
     communications network."

Their format is implementation defined (but should be at least
documented ;-)

- Werner