Re: An alternative way of populating /proc

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 07:28:00 EST

elmer@ylenurme.ee (Elmer Joandi) wrote on 16.04.00 in <38F909E8.1E082827@ylenurme.ee>:

> Kai Henningsen wrote:

> > %d for public root-changeable int
> > %?d if root can only read
> > %0d if mortals can't read
> > %?0d for both

> and then %#$!!+$$ for something deep rude.

For what use? There are only the four options.

> Why can't struct net_device and other
> few hundred to thousand different
> non-performace sensitive structures
> in kernel just have:
>
> Simple virutal method table
> aka metadata table pointer
> describing value-fields,
> methods, substructures,
> access methods, permissions
>
> in them, for example ?

Because that would be far more code?

> Why to create just another messy interface
> for which the code must be: created, changed
> converted, transported, compiled, loaded,
> maintained and thrown out ?

I don't know, why *do* you propose one such?

> PLeez, do it the way, that if I want to use it
> in device driver, then I could be real sure
> that I never need to rewrite my code.

That's exactly what the %d proposal seeks to do, yes.

> And, next innovative people playing with
> every kind of interfaces, should not be waiting
> on me and hundreds of other device driver
> writers to do some consistent and covering-it-all
> great stuff.

How would we get at the data without the driver writer creating an
interface to the data? Impossible. At least *this* interface is *far*
simpler than the one you propose.

MfG Kai