Re: Proposal "LUID"

From: allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 18:23:05 EST

On 16 Apr, Alan Curry wrote:
+-----
| Linda Walsh writes the following:
| > The events can be tracked via forks/execs. When I su to another user
| >withing my current 'session', then spawn an xterminal, All I would see in the log
| >is that user "new" now has started a session. I'll see no idea that it was
| >really user "old".
|
| It really isn't user "old". su changes what user YOU REALLY ARE. That's what
| su MEANS. Substitute User. If you don't like it you can rm /bin/su. You don't
| need to bloat everybody's task_struct with this luid sillyness.
+--->8

So I infer that it is "incorrect" for Linux to qualify for CCAP/C2
security? Wonderful. Let's lock it *out* of secure markets.

(Hint: luids are required by CCAP/C2 security *standards* for
"trusted Unix". They aren't something Linux developers can rewrite to
their own tastes; Linux will not be usable in CCAP/C2-compliant
environments if the kernel doesn't track LUIDs as defined by CCAP/C2.)

--
brandon s. allbery	   os/2,linux,solaris,perl	allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	   kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt	  allbery@ece.cmu.edu