Re: Proposed LUID implementation patch (for 2.3.99pre5) and test files

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 02:13:31 EST

Linda Walsh writes:

> Please consider the attached patch for inclusion into 2.3.99pre5.

I'd really like to know why you think you need _two_ system calls
and a capability bit. These are scarce resources.

#define setluid(x) sys_luid(x)
#define getluid() sys_luid((uid_t)-1)
uid_t sys_luid(uid_t arg){
  uid_t old = current->luid;
  if(old == (uid_t)-1) current->luid = arg;
  return old;
}

As far as I can tell, this simple code does it all. On a system that
sets the LUID, users will never be able to change it. This meets the
requirement with a minimum of code and nothing wasted.