Re: Fix for maestro in 2.3.99-preX

From: Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 09:21:37 EST

Rogier> Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> The problem with this is that the older kernels are never updated
>> so if you want to stick a driver into 2.2.12 for instance, you need
>> to keep the latest compat code in the driver itself.

Rogier> I disagree.

Rogier> As your driver needs to be patched into the kernel, you might
Rogier> need to provide it with the latest "compatmac" patch too.

Rogier> If your driver needs to be compiled in a separate tree, you
Rogier> can provide your own copy of the latest compatmac.h too.

Rogier> Actually I was keeping the "compatmac" code in my drivers
Rogier> until I noticed that I was maintaining those macros in two
Rogier> different places. So I moved them to a central macro file, and
Rogier> I'm happy about the result.

Well I am not interested in that, users have enough problems dealing
with the standalone driver updates as it is.

Jes