Re: Security in general (was Re: Proposal "LUID")

From: Vandoorselaere Yoann (yoann@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 12:39:55 EST

Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> writes:

> Vandoorselaere Yoann <yoann@mandrakesoft.com> said:
> > This isn't *this* mythical function.
> > as i've already said, you LD_PRELOAD a library which provide a replacement
> > for dangerous function like strcpy...
>
> If strcpy(3) can check bounds, why on earth doesn't the libc one do so?

Probably because it is more slow ( + - 10% ).

> > Ps : i can't post the URL of the library i'm talking about...
> > i'm not allowed to until the press release is done.
> > And yes, it's LGPL'ed software :-)
>
> I'd really like to see it.

I'll post here when i'll be allowed to :-)

> Any way of doing as claimed I can think up
> offhand involve _massive_ slowdown, if they even work in all cases.

it work :-)

> BTW,
> gcc has this recently-aqcuired habit of inlining all sorts of functions,
> sometimes with quite a bit of help from the standard header files in
> glibc, so many of the targets for your replacement will be gone by the time
> the program runs.

Nope, we deal with that :)

<snip>

/*
 * -------------- system library implementations -------------------
 * Here is the story: if a C source file includes <string.h> and is
 * compiled with -O, then by default strcpy() is expanded (to several
 * memcpy()'s and a strcpy()) just like a macro. Thus, it is wise to
 * bounds-check memcpy(). Furthermore, because the string "strcpy(,)"
 * gets expanded even when the function is being declared, this code
 * will not compile if optimized unless __NO_STRING_INLINES is defined
 * (see the end of /usr/include/string.h). This is obviously a
 * compiler/header-file specific thing. I am using gcc version
 * egcs-2.91.66.
 */

</snip>

--
                   -- Yoann,  http://prelude.sourceforge.net
     It is well known that M$ products don't call free() after a malloc().