RE: 2.2.15pre19 (gcc version 2.7.2.3) eth messages

From: Oertel, Tim (Tim.Oertel@usa.xerox.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 09:41:33 EST

Hi,

From: Andrew Morton [mailto:andrewm@uow.edu.au]
> Andrey Savochkin wrote:
> >
> > Hello,

[snip]
> > Do not know... The very basic documentation without any
> > detail for writing a
> > software is available from Intel's site.
> > If someone finds any I'll be glad to have a copy :-)
>
> They have quite a lot of datasheets at
>
> http://developer.intel.com/design/network/
> http://developer.intel.com/design/network/manuals/index.htm
> http://developer.intel.com/design/network/applnots/index.htm
> http://developer.intel.com/design/network/applnots/644863.htm
>
> Particularly:
> http://developer.intel.com/design/network/datashts/738259.htm

This one looks like it should contain enough information, but
it really is SEVERELY lacking. Many many registers, structure
definitions, etc. are missing.

> http://developer.intel.com/design/network/datashts/297360.htm

And I think this one is even worse, and it is specifically for the
i82558.

> I couldn't see a good discussion of the buffer management and timing
> issues, but if they have it I suspect it's up there. It seems pretty
> complete.

I talked to an Intel developer support person who directed me to the
real documentation. It isn't generally available, and under NDA.

The real doc is much better, although very hard to follow in some
places, and incomplete in some places, but far far better than the
stuff online.

Tim