return values - 32, 64, 128 bits, type defs...etc/platform size

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 16:09:35 EST

Earlier I wrote:
> A point I forgot to ask about...Um. It wouldn't appear that any kernel calls return more than
> 32 bits. I haven't thoroughly examined the code yet, but is it possible and/or feasible for a kernel
> call to return a 'unsigned long long' as a return value? Else we'd have to pass in a pointer.

---
	Fraddle.  Excuse me while I keep "thinking out loud"...so my only hope
was to look at how llseek returned a 64 bit value.  It drops the ball.  If
the point to seek to takes >32 bits, it just returns an error (EOVERFLOW) (implies:
"go ye therefore and do likewise").

Code says this should only happen on a 32bit platform. That would seem to imply that size of 'long long' = 'long' = 'int' on all 64 bit platforms. Is that the case? What does a 64 bit platform use to represent 128-bit values (assuming a 'long-native int' exists)? long long long int? Eep.

-l

-- Linda A Walsh | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI law@sgi.com | Voice: (650) 933-5338