Re: Announce: modutils 2.3.11 is available - the debugger's helper

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 19:12:34 EST

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 21:33:56 +0200,
Jamie Lokier <lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Another consistent approach is to name the /lib/modules tree after the
>kernel source's drivers/ and net/ trees.

That would work. Define /lib/modules/.../kernel with the same internal
structure as the kernel. modutils scans all directories under
/lib/modules/..., kernel first, then any defined path entries then any
directrory not already scanned.

It preserves the existing scan order, kernel before third party
modules. Putting everything under kernel lets "make modules_install"
erase all old kernel modules before installing a new set of kernel
modules, leaving third party modules alone. It keeps modules separate
for those people who dislike a single flat directory. And most
importantly it removes the version skew between the list of module
directories in the kernel and modutils.

Unless anybody has a violent objection to this, I will add the
.../kernel directory to modutils 2.3.12 then do a kernel patch to "make
modules_install" under .../kernel and remove old modules. It will all
be backwards compatible.