Re:Latest Kernel -- crash, crash, and crashes again

From: Joe (josepha48@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 16:12:43 EST

While lurking the archives I found this and did not see a reply.
 Since it is the latest for the week, I thought I drop in:

> I have been following the latest kernels for a little while
and >have noticed a real problem. Linux will crash (lock-up)
for no
> apparent reason. It doesn't follow a certain pattern. It
>could lock up a few minutes after startup or a few hours. It
>may lockup
> after starting a program (like xmms or mtv) or it may not.
The >only thing I can say for sure it that it happens with X
running. >I
> would really like to help out Linux developemnt -- but I don't
>know how to find out what could be causing these lockups. So
> any hints on how I could do that would be greatly appreciated.

You then mention your hardware, but fail to mention other
software you may be using, like exactly which kernel(s) you have
tried?
I know that kernels earlier than 2.2.12 gave me huge headaches,
as there are all sorts of little problems that caused many
people many problems including me. I have been using 2.2.14 and
it has been fairly solid.

What type of mouse do you have? If you have ps/2 and it is
loosely plugged in it could disconnect and reconnect. That
caused me problems once.

Also what distro (if any) you may be using?

Have you considered that it may be X4.0 causing the problem? I
seem to rember having a problem a while ago with my system
freezing up and not being usable and it was X and kernel
related. It is possible that if it only happens in X that it may
be a kernel / X 4 bug.

Does it happen when you are not running X?