Re: IDE CDROM and dd...

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 04:12:47 EST

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 12:16:42AM -0400, Douglas Gilbert wrote:

> With regard to the discussion about reading data from
> CDROMs, in the case of CD-Rs, the last few sectors may be
> unreadable.
>
> Quoting from Joerg Schilling's cdrecord_1.8/README.copy :
> "NOTE: All CD-R's written in Track At Once mode end in two unreadable
> run-out sectors. If the disk has been written with a Yamaha CD-R100
> or with a Yamaha CD-R102, there are even more run-out sectors."

Yes. That is precisely what I see - two additional sectors.

> The isosize utility calculates the length in bytes from
> the TOC. Unfortunately this utility is not supplied
> separately with recent versions of cdrecord. I got this
> one from a 5 year old copy of cdwrite.

No, isosize does not read the CDROM's TOC.
Instead, it reads the iso9660 filesystem header.

There is a bug in isosize.c, where
        isonum_733(ipd.logical_block_size)
should be
        isonum_723(ipd.logical_block_size)
but in all modern cases the answer is 2048.

Andries