Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Hans Reiser (hans@reiser.to)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 01:11:52 EST

Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> > [...] the distributions are engaged in a bitter and contentious
> > battle for control, they spend large amounts of money out of fear
> > that some code space will fall under control of the other, and their
> > objective in obtaining control is to influence who is cooperated
> > with and who is frustrated.
>
> This reads like a paranoid delusion.

ReiserFS got some funding because the ext2 crowd didn't care to give the LVM
author the time of day because he was in a rival faction, and we were more than
happy to do a resizer for reiserfs designed to play ball with LVM, and then that
led to more funding.... This is simply the usual way of things in the corporate
Linux battles for market share.

Please, understand me clearly, Stephen and Alan are both very nice guys who have
given a lot to Linux users. Gods come to earth they are not. RedHat has done
a lot for Linux users. Many of these octopi distros are nice octopi....

I regret that the truth is more complex and more shaded in dappled greys than
many would care for.

Hans