Re: linux-2.4.0 breaks grub install into partition

From: OKUJI Yoshinori (okuji@gnu.org)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 07:41:31 EST

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
Subject: Re: linux-2.4.0 breaks grub install into partition
Date: 8 Jul 2000 22:55:58 -0700

> That's a pretty ridiculous assertion! When you have a kernel
> filesystem mounted, it belongs to the kernel.

  Surely, but it is sometimes necessary to access a mounted
device. For example, when you want to access a root partition, what do
you do? You can't unmount it, so at least it should be safe to remount
it in read-only mode. Don't forget that not all machines have floppy
drives.

> There operations don't change a thing. At all. They're not merely
> overkill, they're useless. You're changing tires because you're out
> of gas.

  Really? As far as I hear, they are better than doing nothing.

Okuji