Re: linux-2.4.0 breaks grub install into partition

From: OKUJI Yoshinori (okuji@gnu.org)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 16:57:42 EST

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com>
Subject: Re: linux-2.4.0 breaks grub install into partition
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 12:12:48 -0700

> As I said, the only operation that I think can be justified is accessing
> the boot block (and that's only because noone has added an API to do it
> cleanly.) Accessing any other part of the filesystem is death.

  Ok, then can I assume that this is a Linux's fault and should be
fixed in Linux? As Khimenko said, it is somewhat difficult to deal
with the problem in GRUB, because GRUB uses its own mechanism to
interpret filesystems and partitions, and GRUB users can use
block-lists as a file transparently. I don't say it is impossible,
though.

  BTW, is it acceptable to add such an API into Linux in this stage?
If there is no problem with that, I'll investigate that myself, even
though I haven't read the source code of 2.4.x very much
yet. Otherwise, I'll try to find how to overglaze the Linux's fault...

> Not really. They won't have any effect, neither positive or negative,
> except perhaps make you feel better.

  I guess you are talking about 2.4.x. With 2.2.x or earlier, you
have positive effects. So I must admit that this is a change for the
worse, as for our project.

Okuji