Re: 2.2.16 locked up (VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for ... )

From: Derek Martin (derek@cerberus.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 20:08:54 EST

Today, Bob Lorenzini gleaned this insight:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Ben Greear wrote:
>
> > Jul 9 12:40:11 grok inetd[646]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use
> >

> I don't think this is a kernel issue but I'm also finding this message
> in my log every 10 min. (Linus-2.2.16) I assumed this was a bind configure
> problem perhaps brought on by using linuxconf but now I'm not so sure as
> I can see no problem. Any ideas where I should look?
> When I get to the office tomorrow I will revert to .15 just in case.

It's probably not a kernel problem. It looks like you have inetd trying
to listen to a port that a standalone daemon is already listening to. In
this case, bind is a system call, and has nothing to do with BIND (named),
which doesn't run out of inetd anyway.

auth/tcp is the service associated with the annoying identd daemon, so
you've probably got a bunch of in.identd processes hanging around. If I
were you, I'd just comment that line out of /etc/inetd.conf, restart
inetd, and then kill all identd processes. On redhat systems et. al.,
this can be accomplished by:

  killall in.identd

cheers.