version numbering

From: David Feuer (DFeuer@Landmarkcollege.org)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 09:50:57 EST

I was wondering if there was any reason that version numbers get really weird near release time... Couldn't there be a standard numbering scheme for these? I don't see why there was kernel 2.3.x, kernel 2.4.0-prey, kernel 2.4.0-testx,
kernel 2.4.0-testx/prey..... Is it really necessary to have special version numbers? If so, why not just stick to the 2.4-pred? Or perhaps even
2.3.326pre or something.... Is there a reason that 2.4 pre-releases are not stored under version 2.3 on kernel.org?

David Feuer
dfeuer@his.com
This message has been brought to you by the letter alpha and the number pi.