Re: IDE problem (VIA82C586, kernel 2.2 and 2.4)

From: Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 12:09:45 EST

??? Where do you turn this on? I enable support for the VIA chipsets
through make menuconfig in the 2.2.x kernels but never noticed a VIA_TUNING
option. Is the the same thing? Currently I would assume so as hdparm
appears to work for me. Also the help page for the VIA support should
probably be updated to speak about the idebus parameter. I didn't know I
had to use it myself until I saw you mention it on this list recently.
Until then I assumed the eventual failure of optimizations done through
hdparm were due to buggy VIA chipsets, FIC/shuttle motherboards, or the
still mark experimental Linux driver. By the way for some reason on the FIC
PAG-2130 the idebus parameter was unnecessary for the proper operation of
the various optimizations done through hdparm.

Can the idebus paramter just default to 33 now? Other than overclockers
virtually nobody is really getting systems that diviate from a 33 Mhz bus
nowadays.