Re: IBM Rapid Access Keyboard

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 19:04:01 EST

> > Only works in X windows. Next suggestion

Vojtech Input layer. Use /dev/inputX. Its console and X window
independent. I tried it on several keyboards and every key shows. It even
reported the names of the keys that are on the keybaord such as volume,
WWW, menu and even coffee (whatever that is for). In time X will support
the new input API.

> So do all the features people want to use these keyboards for. This
> is very much a desktop-console feature and people are going to be
> running X on such a system.

It is far better to have a console system then X windows on a system.
Believe it or not not everyone uses X. Consider a application that would
want to access these extra keys on a embedded system. Now we know X and
embedded don't get along. X is very very big resource consumer.

> If we have to re-implement X at the
> console, we are doing ourselves a major disservice. Additionally, if
> you really need a super-advanced console, do it in user space. As
> someone on the linux-utf8 list said, "I wish someone had a long time
> ago said `no further' with the in-kernel console..."

The console system is a big mess but I have managed to clean it up alot
:-) One of our developers did add better DEC VT emulation but I agree.
That is it. Other terminal types can be emulated in userspace.

Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.

James Simmons [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=