Report: Big Improvement in -test3

From: Joel Sloan (jjs@toyota.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 20:03:41 EST

Kudos to you all on the continuing improvements in 2.4.0-test.

I'm currently running 2.4.0-test3 on my HP Vectra workstation
at the office (PII 300, 128 MB, Voodoo 3).

This afternoon I started a compile of 2.4.0-test4-pre4 and went
to get some supplies from the storeroom.

When I returned to my desk a couple of minutes later, I noticed
the "gears" 3D screensaver running at pretty much normal speed.

My first thought was "The compile must have died", since in my
previous experience, the screensaver would always slow to a crawl
during a kernel compile. I logged in and found to my suprise that
the kernel compile was still chugging away, the load average was
meandering around between 1.5 and 2, and it was 16M into swap.

I locked the screen again and watched gears, lament & atlantis
all run normally while the compile continued in the background.

This is a significant improvement, and bodes well for 2.4 final!

Cheers -

jjs