Semantics of mount options on multiple mounts

From: Tom Daniels (daniels@cerias.purdue.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 11:01:54 EST

We've been doing some testing with multiple mount points for our web
server using the 2.4.0-test kernels.
It appears that we can first mount a filesystem read-write and then mount the
same file system read-only on a different mount point. The problem is that
the read-only mount isn't. We can touch files and write to the file system.

So the question is.... Is this the intended behavior? I've looked all over
and can't find any docs on how multiple mounts are supposed to work. I can
see where it might be difficult to implement differing policies on different
mount points so it's understandable, but it definitely needs to be documented
somewhere.

Thanks,

Tom