MANOS Source Code Released

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 17:37:43 EST

In commemoration of my 40th Birthday which is today (my wife brought
black baloons and a birthday cake with a tombstone and vulture on it) I
am releasing the IA32 version of the MANOS source code at
207.109.151.240 and www.timpanogas.com. At present, there's a binary
MANOS.EXE file at manos\os\src that boots under MS-DOS (and goes nto 32
bit mode while keeping DOS resident in low memory).

The internal architeture of MANOS is **IDENTICAL** to the structure of
NetWare except theirs no LAN or disk drivers (though you can use any
servies in the underlyng DOS). This OS is built under DOS with Boralnd
TC 4.5 and Intersolv PVCS code manager. THe debugger in kernel is
exquisite in comparison to Linux and is offerred to Linus and Alan in
the hopes you guys will help me get a version of it inside Linux. It's
full source level and if we had this in Linux our development times
would be reduced by a factor of about 20 since it has very good SMP
debugging facilities.

At some point, we will be merging this with Linus code so folks can boot
up Linux under MS-DOS and provide NetWare like performance, though I
admit it's far from complete -- We've focused on Linux development and
had this thing on a shelf gathering dust. It's not GPL yet, but I will
update it in a few weeks and make it so. I've removed the Windows NT
driver support layer (I have a layer for this that will load all NT
device drivers and use them) and NTFS/FASTFAT sources from this tree, so
it's just a barebones SMP kernel with a killer debugger.

The MANOS.EXE file boots under DOS, and may have problems on some
machines.

Enjoy.

Jeff