Re: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 16:50:30 EST

Alan,

Than I'll do my part to help further linux by giving you guys an example
of something that gets around these problems. Darren is going to string
me up for this, but we were planning to release it anyway. We'eve
developed a NetWare clone that we were going to open source at some
point anyway, but the debugger in it is exquisite compared to what's in
Linux. I give it freely. Let me know who wants to help. I'm open
sourcing MANOS today. I am not including and disk or LAN support, since
we got hit with a court order halting this work in 1998 (though the
court order is now expired). it's got a full source level KERNEL
debugger that Linux really needs. Let's get some folks to convert it
over to gcc, and we'll have it for Linux. I'll have it up on the server
in about 20 minutes. It's a full SMP OS that kicks the snot out of NT
and Linux on Raw SMP performance. TRG is the maintainer, so post your
fixes here and ignore the copyright notices. Post bugs to this list
since I was planning to merge it with Linux anyway, so I might as well
let you and Linus take a shot at using some of it, and the work will get
done faster with you guys help.

It uses Borland tools and loaded PE and DLL exes (the OS is really just
a big DLL).

:-)

Jeff