lockup after hard restart

From: S.Toms (tomas@primenet.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 00:38:22 EST

  Weirest thing is happening, and I don't know what to provide to help
diagnose the problem. I have a Compaq Deskpro 6160 scsi based system, I
can't install to the MBR so I'm forced to use a boot disk, but that's not
the problem, the problem is when the system dies (loses power, locks up or
what have you) when this happens and I hit the reset button, or turn it
off and on, it boots up fine, everything seems to work ok but after about
5 minutes the system locks up again, this will continue until I restart
the system and do a 'shutdown -r now' after which when it boots, it will
run like there was no problem what so ever.
  I originally thought it had something to do with the APM, but I disabled
it entriely and still have the same problem, I use the system as my
firewall only so only the necessary items are compiled into the kernel or
as modules for the system to run.
  The system is running a 2.2.14 kernel manually installed on a 6.3
suse linux system. I have another similarly configured system that I
built, same type of hardware (kernel compilation the same) but using the
MBR which works fine. Has anyone come across anything like this before?

--
        S.Toms - tomas@primenet.com - www.primenet.com/~tomas
                   SuSE Linux v6.4+ - Kernel 2.2.16

It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens. -- Woody Allen