Re: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 04:35:06 EST

David Woodhouse wrote:

> torvalds@transmeta.com said:
> > The thing I hate, though, is code like
> > #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= VERSION(2,5,10)
> > lock_kernel();
> > #endif
> > in drivers. _Particularly_ in drivers.
>
> Hmmm. Just as well I resisted the temptation to include a handful of...
>
> #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < 0x20400
> MOD_INC_USE_COUNT
> #endif
>
> ... in the last patch I sent you then :)

As a "compatibility" issue, I would recommend that you include
"compatmac.h", and that compatmac be augmented with:

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < 0x20400
#define OLD_MOD_INC_USE_COUNT MOD_INC_USE_COUNT
#else
#define OLD_MOD_INC_USE_COUNT /* Nothing */
#endif

and similarly a construct for the lock_kernel.

This prevents the ugly inline #ifdefs . It's not as clean as
completely removing them, but in my opinion, it will do for the time
being. (We squashed a bunch of bugs yesterday by porting over the 2.4
driver for a card to 2.2. If compatmac will allow the source file to
be identical that'll be even easier in the future. Now we have to
handle the modcounts every time.)

                        Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********