Re: Kernel without keyboard support.

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 08:05:11 EST

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Agust Karlsson wrote:

> Hi there.
> I am in the unfortunate position, that I need a kernel to run on a embedded
> system without keyboard support (no kbd HW). My only interface is a serial
> line and a EGA screen on the board.
> My question is: How can you compile a kernel that dos'nt check for keyboard
> or try to use one.
> Make config does not give me that opportunity.
>
> Regards.
>
> Agust Karlsson
> Pallas Informatik
> Allerød Denmark

Just use your regular kernel. It boots fine without a keyboard installed.
Try it on your regular machine. If you plug in the keyboard after Linux
is up, the controller will init the keyboard and it will work (although
the default repeat-rate is slow).

Some keyboard controllers might barf and give an interrupt which results
in a single complaint from the kernel, but who cares? If the idea is
to have a prefectly clean boot (no error message), just comment out
the appropriate printk().

If the hardware guys have decided to rip out the keyboard controller
to save 69 cents, you are in a world of hurt because that controller
controls much more than the keyboard. This is unlikely because the
keyboard controller is probably within the "Super I/O" chip on
a modern design and HW guys are not very good with hacksaws ~;)

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.