RE: UDMA on WDC == (Re: 2.4.0-test4 Corrupt filesystems)

From: Cy (llucius@tiny.net)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 10:03:37 EST

I believe this is what your talking about, from:
http://www.westerndigital.com/service/FAQ/linux.html#22100

6: I've heard that when using Linux, I can't take advantage of UDMA on my
AC22100H drive. Is this true?

It's possible but this is nothing we have confirmed. However, keep in mind
not all AC22100 model drives are UDMA capable. Only AC22100 drives having a
CCC code (located on top of drive on main label) of A8-AG, D5-D7, Bx, or Cx
are UDMA capable. It may be the AC22100 drives users have apparently claimed
problems with were not UDMA capable drives.

In any case, the UDMA capable AC22100 drives meet all applicable UDMA
specifications and are fully UDMA compliant. If there's a problem using
these drives in Linux the problem most likely lies with the software driver
and not the hard drive itself.