Kernel panic with ArcServe and DLT tape

From: Reinhold Huber (rhuber@fs.tum.de)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 13:42:07 EST

Hello,

The night from Tuesday to Wednesday, a Netfinity 5500 box panicked with
the following messages (copied off the console screen):

scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 16329, scsi1, channel 0, id 5,
        lun 0, Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
(scsi1) BRKADRINT error (0xff):
  Illegal Host Access
  Illegal Sequencer Address Referenced
  Illegal Opcode in sequencer program
  Scequencer Ram Parity Error
  Data-Path Ram Parity Error
  Scratch Ram/SCB Array Ram Parity Error
  PCI Error detected
  CIOBUS Parity Error
(scsi1) SEQADDR=0x1ff
kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT.
In swapper task - not syncing

The Netfinity contains an onboard ServeRaid II controller and a PCI Adaptec
2940 AU, because the tape didn't work while connected to scsi0, channel 1
on the 2nd channel of the ServeRaid controller.

The Linux version is 2.2.12, just like delivered with the RedHat distribution.
After a reboot, I tried tar cf /dev/st0 /usr and a tar tvf /dev/st0 twice,
with no error. The tar used was GNU tar 1.13.11 right from the distribution.

I don't know when this panic came about, the last log message came from
ArcServeIT 6.61 for Linux, which came hourly before, last one at 22.02 CEST,
no other messages. There were no backups scheduled at this night at all,
so I do not know what ArcServe could have done to the tape.

Any help with the problem is welcome, because I'd like to understand why
this happened. If you have more questions, please ask, I'll try to answer
them.

Many thanks in advance,
Reinhold Huber