Re: ReiserFS patch for 2.4.0-test2

From: Martin Josefsson (gandalf@wlug.westbo.se)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 15:33:39 EST

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Tony Hoyle wrote:

> cp -a /ext2-source /reiserfs-dest runs about half the speed of
> cp -a /ext2-source /ext2-dest.

cd /usr/src
tar zxf linux-2.4.0-test4.tar.gz

this is where I notice the poor performance most.
I usually have a little application called "gkrellm" running to monitor my
system. When I untar the kernelsource it shows that almost all cpu cycles
are used as system time not userspace time. And as a result of the kernel
eating most of the cputime my applications runs _very_ slowly.

> However, in general use (for me at least) it seems about the same speed (and the reboot
> speed is worth it).

I think my whole machine feels sluggish while doing fileaccess.
I agree that the reboot speed is very nice but if people are going to
switch to a journaling filesystem I don't think they will choose one with
this poor performance.

Before I started running 2.3/2.4 kernels I tested reiserfs for 2.2 kernels
and that was indeed very fast, it felt much faster than ext2.

But now in 2.4 ext2 is way faster than reiserfs, ext2 doesn't spend most
of it's time hogging my cpu.

/Martin