Re: OOM in 2.2.14

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 10:01:05 EST

On 13 Jul 2000 jmcmullan@linuxcare.com wrote:

> That is yet another alternative. The point is to put all
> of the process killing logic in user-land - not to quibble about
> possible implementations of such logic.

So you didn't read my last replies to your email at all?

When we're OUT OF MEMORY, there is NO MEMORY LEFT to even get
information from /proc. Well, in some cases there may be memory
left, but in other cases there isn't so you can't operate on
that assumption.

Let me repeat myself: NO MEMORY LEFT. NADA. ZILCH. NOTHING.

In that case no userspace "solution" will be able to get the
relevant info from /proc and make a sane choice as to which
process to kill. That is why an OOM killer has to be in the
kernel (which, incidentally, is where my OOM killer patch runs).

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/