endless error messages with raid0 && 2.2.16

From: Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 01:58:06 EST

I just tried (again) to upgrade from 2.2.15 to 2.2.16 on my smp-machine.

Now, whenever I try to accces a blockdevice with raid0, I get this error
message:

VFS: grow_buffers: 16384

... in an endless loop, and the only thing I can is is hitting reset. The
16384, incidentally, is the stripe-size of the md device (when I try another
device with 32k strips I get the same message with 32768).

Every access (mount, dd) causes this behaviour.

Even stranger: when I use the md= commandline option for the kernel AND
mount the md device as root device it works fine, i.e. I can boot and
later dd from that device. As soon as I try to access another raid device
I get the same error again, however, the same happens when I try to mount
that md device later (== not as root).

So, in summary: mounting root device on md = fine, doing anything else
on a striped md device = endless kernel loop.

Needless to say, 2.2.15 worked absolutely fine.

Anybody knows what I'm doing wrong? And, even better, a solution?

Thanks a lot!

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|