RE: Oops in 2.4.0-test4 (its still this one introduced in

From: Soeren Sonnenburg (sonnenburg@informatik.hu-berlin.de)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 13:20:33 EST

> > Soeren, what compiler are you using?
>
> Its not compiler specific.
>
> > Mandrake 7.1) with two different compilers (gcc / pgcc 2.95.3). Both
> > these distribs use 'pidof' in their init scripts, spewing many Oopsen
> > with each boot. I build most of the alpha kernels, and have saw
> > it first with t1-ac18.
> >
> > Both distribs use the latest 2.78 version of SysVinit (which
> > contains the 'pidof' program.)
>
> The oops is caused because some kernel threads are created before we have
> the root fs mounted. That leaves them with invalid things procfs follows
> with fatal results.

I've found the kernel thread. It is khttpd... I must admit that I didn't
read the docs where its clearly stated that it khttpd should be loaded as a
module...

Nevertheless if it really only works as a module the option to build khttpd
support into the kernel should be pruned...

Thanks,
Soeren.

----
Always leave room to add an explanation if it doesn't work out.