Re: Object Oriented Linux

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 13:30:31 EST

azz@gnu.org (Adam Sampson) writes:

>On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 03:19:56AM +0000, Andrew Morton wrote:
>> I'm sorry, Victor but this one gets under my skin. If people want to
>> write kernel code in C++ well good for them. All it requires of the
>> kernel developers is to take the darn C++ keywords out of the headers.
>> About an hour's work for someone who has a license for /bin/vi.
>>
>> This is an ideological language war masquerading as a technical and
>> supportability issue.

>You could make exactly the same argument for including support for
>writing kernel internals in any other language.

>I think the issue here is that if the kernel developers allow people to
>write kernel code in C++, it will require other kernel developers to
>know C++; keeping Linux to one language makes it easier for people to
>modify each other's code.

Why not wait until one finally _shows_ a working driver without ugly
kludges and problems written in C++ and running in the kernel?

As long as this argument is just purely theoretical, it is IMHO just
an ideological discussion. Rough concensus and running code that is.

        Regards
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen --             hps@tanstaafl.de
TANSTAAFL! Consulting - Unix, Internet, Security

Hutweide 15 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 "There ain't no such D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20 thing as a free Linux"