Re: F*ck*ng japanese garbage postings and possible HACK.

From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 18:04:34 EST

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> This is not the first time Japanese Kanji (or whatever the hell
> it is) have made it to the mailing list. I would have partially
> quoted the message I am refering to, however when I TRIED to
> quote it, PINE segfaulted saying "impossible or illegal character
> in From line".

Works fine in my PINE. PINE sucks anyway so don't complain about the
inadequacies of your software :).

> Since there is no way for vger to filter this japanese SPAM, does
> anyone have a procmail rule which could do it? Or would
> filtering out all postings from .jp do it? Are there any
> japanese folk on the list with .jp addresses that make active
> contributions? Just wondering because I want to permanently
> filter this garbage which appears about once a week, but I don't
> want to filter out legitimate postings from decent japanese folk.

Why not just get the list admin to require posters to be subscribed?? lkml
is one of the most backwards mailing lists I've ever been on, and AFAIK
anyone can spam it without being subscribed (in which case they could
easily be unsubscribed and therefore blocked).