Re: F*ck*ng japanese garbage postings and possible HACK.

From: Thomas Zehetbauer (thomasz@hostmaster.org)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 01:36:22 EST

> This is not the first time Japanese Kanji (or whatever the hell
> it is) have made it to the mailing list. I would have partially
> quoted the message I am refering to, however when I TRIED to
> quote it, PINE segfaulted saying "impossible or illegal character
> in From line".
PINE is PAINFUL - you'd better get mutt (http://www.mutt.org) or another
reliable mail application.

> Since there is no way for vger to filter this japanese SPAM, does
> anyone have a procmail rule which could do it? Or would
> filtering out all postings from .jp do it? Are there any
> japanese folk on the list with .jp addresses that make active
> contributions? Just wondering because I want to permanently
> filter this garbage which appears about once a week, but I don't
> want to filter out legitimate postings from decent japanese folk.
I am using the following rules at the beginning of my .procmailrc.
These filter almost all japanese messages except ones which do not specify
their character set.
-- START
:0
* content-type:.*charset.*iso-2022-jp
/dev/null
:0
* content-type:.*charset.*big5
/dev/null
-- END

> I did a search of the list, and the only legit poster I could
> find was "Akira YOSHIYAMA". So I know there is at least one
> person here with a .jp address that is legit.
So we may ignore *.jp but make an exception for his messages.

Tom

Nirvana: Zustand des Gluecks durch Ausloeschung des Selbst.
  T h o m a s Z e h e t b a u e r ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89
       mail pgp-key-request@hostmaster.org