Re: VIA IDE driver, v1.5 (final)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 15:05:34 EST

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Brian Gerst wrote:

> Sorry, I mistook you for saying that you physically damaged the drive.
> The fact that the interface cannot detect if the 80 pin cable is present
> or not is pretty stupid though.

It can, you just have to know what to look for and how to read what it is
telling you. Since that is not possible yet, you default to the safest
mode. Think of it as trying to find place with out an address but I give
you a general area to look.

Please come to visit me in California, when you get to the border begin
guessing. Silly heh?

I have 256 bytes of PCI config space to hunt through of which about
25->40% is mapped, but the map does not include the info needed yet.
So if you do not know where you are going you move with caution.

What is stupid about that?

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy