"real time" patches & naughty drivers

From: Michael Babcock (mikebabcock@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 15:43:20 EST

Just my $0.02 worth w.r.t. the recent discussions revolving around
RTLinux and other real time patches to the kernel:
I'm using the DPT drivers for our raid controller and when I run the
dptutil program that reads the hardware status, the whole system hangs
for about 4 or 5 seconds while this is done. The Windows driver, from
what I've observed, does not do this. I'm wondering if this is being
caused by part of the driver or if the dptutil program itself is able to
keep CPU control for so long.