Packet losses in 2.0.30 kernel.

From: Darin Smith (darin_smith@adc.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 19:13:26 EST

Howdy,

Trying to debug a problem on a 2.0.30-based system, I ran across the
following behavior:

ping -f ip_addy_of_my_ethernet_device (or even the loopback interface)

will drop about 95% of the packets. Sometimes more. This seems to be
the case on both a DEC and 3Com cards, on both x86 and ppc platforms.
This does not seem to happen at all on machines, both x86 and ppc,
running a 2.2.14 kernel.

Due to other issues (driver-porting and application-porting issues, not
to mention time), going up to 2.2.14 is not an option.

Does anyone know what the fix was for this, and possibly if it is fixed
in a later 2.0.x kernel (which one?).

Or is this just a problem with ping (don't know what version I'm
actually running & can't get the one in netkit-0.16 to compile just
now)?

As always, TIA.

--
Regards,