Re: [OT] Japanese (or other language) postings

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 06:56:19 EST

There is nothing saying the Linux kernel is not going to support intl.
Spam and kernel are two different ball fields. Please don't get into
left field.

The current issue as several have presented, is the ratio of .jp emails
which are benign v.s. spam is rather onerous. I don't care what company
or country spam comes from, I'd like to present it with the smoking end
of a bazooka. Don't go off in left field with this one either about
indiscriminate blasting. I aim to be very surgical with my
retaliation. There's no racism implied or stated. It's the same old
story as aol email or hotmail or ..etc. Take your pick. Apparently
there just happens to be a very large number of open relays or spam
origination points in .jp. I got no less than 65 of these particular
spams all to different addresses and from about 9 different relay sites
in .jp.

If 99% of the email I get from .jp or multibyte emails is spam, then by
golly heck yes I'm going to dev/null it. Grokking my mailbox for the
last two months yields about half a dozen multibyte or .jp emails which
are legitimate and 83 spams in the last 10 days. I only keep spam
around for a few days so the measurement is a bit off.

If a very common element in spam is a multibyte email, people are very
likely to use that to combat spam. It doesn't matter who or where the
email is coming from. If you're in the middle of it, I'm sorry. The
predominant thinking used to be surgical cuts. Now those cuts are
getting more and more broad because spamming is increasing. We try hard
not to.

I imagine in a few years, many people will require a form of certificate
or authority approval before they will accept your email. I've already
started planning how I'm going to do it

Yes, there is a Hell, and the gates are opening. It's called spamming
and commercialization. They get in your face more and more, closer and
closer until you think very bloody unkind thoughts about them.

-d

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was