Re: Async disk i/o in Linux

From: Ramon Garcia Fernandez (ramon@juguete.quim.ucm.es)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 07:48:18 EST

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Ramon Garcia Fernandez wrote:
> The reason why they are uninteresting is from Single UNIX v2 spec that
> dictates:
>
> File descriptors associated with regular files always select true
> for ready to read, ready to write, and error conditions.

In that case I would be very pleased if Linux supported select with the
same meaning for regular files as for terminals and sockets. Although it
would be incompatible, I believe that there is no program relying on
the behaviour of Unix select on regular files since it is not useful. And
async i/o from the user side would be useful.

Ramon