2.4.0-test[34]: nasty make race with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y

From: I Lee Hetherington (ilh@sls.lcs.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 11:41:31 EST

With 2.4.0-test[34] and CONFIG_MODVERSIONS set, there seems to be a race
in the build process. At least 50% of the time for me, modversions.h
does not include i386_ksyms.ver, resulting in eventual failure to load
modules.

If I do

     % make mrproper
     % cp ../config .config
     % make oldconfig
     % make dep

sometimes modversions.h includes i386_ksyms.ver and sometimes not.
I am building on a 2.4.0-test3 system running on a dual 866MHz
PIII Xeon.

If I do

     % make dep MAKE='sleep 1; make'

it seems to work more reliably, but is quite a bit slower. Make is
version 3.78.

The whole way that modversions.h is updated in Rules.make is kind of
bogus. I would think it would be better to generate all the .ver files
and then at the very end build modversions.h from them.

I'll work on a patch unless someone has a better idea. Doesn't anyone
else run into this?

--Lee Hetherington