Re: D-Link DFE-570TX: driver issues w/ tulip and de4x5

From: Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 20:27:39 EST

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Pekka Savola wrote:

> I just got a D-Link DFE-570TX Quad Ethernet card. It seems to use
> DC21143 chipset.
>
> Has anyone managed to get this card working in forced full duplex/100
> Mb? More of the problems encountered below.
>
> Initial tests show that it works OK with tulip in autonegotiation mode.

The DFE-570 was reported as working with both the original v91g and v92 in
autonegotiation mode. The v92 driver did make many changes to keep the
media locked, rather than switching with a timeout.

> Both de4x5 (either from 2.2.16-3 or the one from 2.2.17pre12) and tulip
> fail to work properly in forced full duplex, 100Mb environment.
> With tulip, you get no warnings but it just won't work. I tried both
> options=5,5,5,5 and options=14,14,14,14 arguments.

Hmmm, read the boot message. '5' only works only when using the SYM
transceiver, not a MII transceiver.

> Tulip drivers on Donald Becker's site seemed significantly different, but
> I wasn't able to test with them; all I got was:
> ---
> tulip.o: unresolved symbol pci_drv_unregister
> tulip.o: unresolved symbol pci_drv_register

You need to load 'pci-scan.o' first.
This has the PCI, hot-swap and ACPI power control support.

Read
  http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403