chattr and ext2 extended attributes

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 21:31:28 EST

For as long as I remember, the chattr manpage lists various
attributes that can be enabled on files/dirs, however mentions
some are not implemented:

BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
       As of ext2 fs 0.5a, the `c' and `u' attribute are not hon
       oured by the kernel code. As of the Linux 2.0 kernel, the
       'A' attribute is not yet supported by the kernel code.
       (The noatime code is still in testing.)

       These attributes will be implemented in a future ext2 fs
       version.

Well, as for "c", I know e2compr adds that support, however has
anyone ever done patches for "u" support (undelete flag)?

We now have "noatime" and "nodiratime" options in kernel. Is the
"A" flag supported now at all?

Does the "s" secure delete flag do anything, or is it just a
placeholder as well?

Just curious because the manual is horribly innaccurate so it is
hard to know what is implemented unless you've tried and tested
it, or can grok the feature via the source.

Out of the above features (and any others I might have missed),
what kernel do you need to GET the particular feature?

I'd like to use "u" on some dirs like /etc/, and my home dir's
dot files, etc.. and "s" is very useful in secure environments
with critical files..

Any help appreciated.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.