framebuffer

From: Heusden, Folkert van (f.v.heusden@ftr.nl)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 03:33:14 EST

Is there any more extensive documentation on the frame-buffer device then
what is in Documentation/ ?

Anyway, the only thing I wanted to know is; if I open the device, do I then
have access to /all/ the RAM of the framebuffer? Like; my video-card has
16MB of ram, will I be able to mmap all of that? Or do I need to apply
tricks? (like; setting it to some ridiculous high resolution)

I want to know this because for what I'm writing (use your video-card as a
ram-disk), I need acces in a portable way if possible to as much of the
video-ram as possible. (don't care about card's output)

Thank you.

p.s.: am I very rude if I ask to be CC'd to my e-mail address? I'm not on
this list, for obvious reasons (this traffic is gigantic)